Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Write a hit song

Recently I discovered I am a talented lyricist. This came as a big surprise to me.

It all came together when I realized most songs I enjoy are gibberish. I can TOTALLY write gibberish!

For decades I believed my favorite songs revolved around deep thoughts artistically embedded in metaphors and allusions. It turns out they were gibberish.

My first hint came after reading an interview with Paul McCartney. He admitted that most, if not all, Beatles songs were random words and thoughts strung together. I refused to believe it. So I checked online and read some of the Beatles songs. Holy crap! Gibberish! See for yourself:

http://www.beatleslyricsarchive.com/songs.php

Let's see if we can write a gibberish hit song together. Here are the rules:

1. Write no more than two lines.

2. Your lines should be grammatically correct.

3. It should sound like it might have deep meaning to someone else.

4. Avoid klunky sounding words. Velvet is good. Cholesterol is bad.

5. Specify whether your lines are a hook or just part of the regular lyrics.

6. It should seem to be part of a story about life or love but not too specific, so they can all be strung together later.

I'll kick it off with the first two song lines:

“She had runaway eyes and marshmallow kittens.

My heart heard a dream like ten thousand gay mittens.”

Go.

No comments: